Sport and activities covered

Sport and activities covered

As we all know South Africans love their sport and are an adventurous bunch. As people well know obtaining a travel insurance policy does n’t automatically cover them for all activities whist on holiday overseas.

Many travel insurance policies sold via Easy Travel Insurance are covered for adventure sports. Be sure to read the schedule of benefits of the travel insurance policy. Some of the common ones which are covered are the following:

  • badminton
  • basket ball
  • bowls
  • bushwalking
  • camel & elephant riding
  • canoeing in calm waters
  • canyoning
  • cycling
  • fishing (off land),
  • golf
  • kayaking,
  • under 200cc motor biking & quad biking
  • mountain biking
  • roller skating
  • rowing
  • sailing in coastal waters
  • sea canoeing & sea kayaking
  • snorkeling
  • squash
  • surfing
  • tennis
  • volley ball

Provided standard safety gear and helmets are worn.

Adventure sports and clues to participating safely

The restrictions to cover whilst participating in adventure sports give you a good clue of the statistical llikelihood that you will injure yourself whilst partaking in these activities. It is advisable to remain within these guidelines not only to ensure that your travel insurance covers you but to reduce your likelihood of an accident .

For example Easy Travel Insurance will cover you for bungee jumping as long as you do not exceed 150 meters and use a body harness as a back-up to the ankle attachment. Therein lies a clue to your statistical probability of injuring yourself whilst partaking in this activity.

Other useful clues to looking after yourself whilst partaking in adventure sports are the cover provided for horse back riding (excluding competitions and jumping), kite surfing at least 100 meters from any obstructions .

Please note, as tempting as it may be, don’t go kite surfing during storms because you will not be covered. You may go mountaneering  for recreational purposes but  when the use of ropes and equipment are required you are not covered .

You can go Scuba diving for recreational purposes up to a depth of 30 meters but you must be a licensed diver and be accompanied by a qualified buddy diver.

Recreational snow skiing and snowboarding on green, blue and red slopes only if properly organised and supervised, on a designated run on-piste. If you are going off piste and down blacks, please be extra careful because you will not be covered.

White water rafting is also covered with experienced guides on rivers with an international scale of river difficulty of Class 1, 2 and 3.

Please refer to your policy terms and condition document for an up to date list of activities.